One month into my new life as an Expat in Shanghai, China and I’m beginning to notice some patterns to life in China. Firstly, It is important that I remind myself that I’m not in Kansas anymore.
- Nothing gets done without a passport.*
- Nothing is simple in China.
- Electric scooters, Vespas, and bicycles adhere to no traffic rules. None. Zero, zip, nada.
- Pedestrians are the lowest rung on the food chain.
- Left turn yields to traffic is a concept that has not made its way to China.
- There are
- China of the main streets
- China of the side streets
China of the alleys(Strong similarities with the previous so I’m combining them)
- Having a good driver is invaluable.
- *No rules are absolute
- The saying, “Rules are made to be broken” was invented in China.
I will expound on these in future posts.