“All things must change to something new, to something strange.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
There was a time in my life when this thought terrified me. Partly due to my OCD, partly due to other defects of character, but over time and with a lot of work and support from family and friends I have grown to be able to deal with change. I’m not 100% “go with the flow” but I’m can mostly accept the things I cannot change. That ability will be needed in China. Ch, ch, ch changes.
The apartment that Melinda and I selected during our house hunting trip to Shanghai was subsequently rented to someone else when the landlord decided she didn’t want to deal with a corporate lease. We decided to start the search over because we had come to like the idea of a three-bedroom apartment and the other apartments we had viewed were either two-bedrooms, or they were in need of updating. Melinda called our leasing agent, Isabella, and spent last Tuesday morning searching. The need to change the apartment brought with it the opportunity to change the location in Shanghai on which we had previously focused. We expanded the possibilities to the Pudong side. Twenty-six years ago Pudong was the rural outskirt of Shanghai, on the east bank of the Hungpu River, but it is now Shanghai’s financial epicenter and home to the imaginative skyline that features the Pearl TV Tower and the almost complete Shanghai Tower.
It is also the location of our new apartment. We think. Ch, ch, ch changes.
The landlord has agreed to the terms of the corporate lease, and we have signed the documents required by Melinda’s company to proceed with them entering into a lease on our behalf, but we understand that nothing is final until the t’s are crossed and the i’s are dotted. Already the landlord has changed the start date from October 1st to November 1st because the current tenant is having visa problems and can’t get out of China as scheduled.
Speaking of visa delays, Melinda has had to reschedule her flight from September 23rd to September 27th because the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco informed us on Tuesday that they no longer provide expedited service and it is closed today and tomorrow for the Autumn Festival. We are hoping for our visas by early next week. Ch, ch, ch changes.
On the home front, here in Seattle, we’ve decided that we are not going to ship our furniture to China, or sell our car: We are going to buy a house in Boise, so that we have a place to stay when we comeback to the USA to visit family and friends. So now the plan is for the moving company to come on September 30th and pack one 95 cu foot air container and pack everything else for storage until we buy a house. Ch, ch, ch changes.
I will drive the car to Boise, with Izaak as my passenger, next week and leave them both with Hannah and Mike. That’s the plan. For now.